Friday, June 29, 2012

Accepting Ourselves

At the beginning of each year, many people have one thing in common; their New Year's resolution. The most common resolution is to lose weight, which seems appropriate after a holiday season. I, like many, joined in that resolution this year. Here it is a couple months after the beginning of the year and I realized that I was with a lot of other people at this point ... still where I was a couple months ago.

I thought about this fact for quite a while, trying to figure out what had happened. I had an Epiphany about the situation. I need to start loving myself first ... just the way I am. Why is is we believe somehow that our lives would be better if we look a certain way? Most people would start by saying it is the media's fault. I am going to go out on a limb here andpersonally take responsibility for it. I didn't have to watch TV or read the popular magazines, but I did. I believed that hype. I allowed myself to feel bad about the body that God gave me. Our bodies are supposed to be a temple, and more than just what we put into our bodies can harm our temple. Self loathing or criticizing is, I believe, more insulting to God. No matter what our weight, skin color, or any other physical characteristics, God sees us as beautiful. This is something I want to continue to examine; really contemplate what it is to see myself as God does. We all have the responsibility to feed our minds with all that is good and positive, not anyone or anything else. As hard As it is, we can change what we think and believe about ourselves, making the most important changewe can make.

Is there hope? Certainly! For everyone the process is different, but the method is the same. I challenge you to talk with your maker, not asking him to make you skinnier or better looking, but to help you see yourself as He sees you. He knows your heart, he knows what you need and want, even before you know it. Before starting any diet or exercise plan, ask Him what your body NEEDS, not how skinny you can get. The second thing I would suggest, invest your time in reading the Bible. It reinforces that God loves us as we are and what the real focus of our time on Earth should be. I don't say this just to shove religion down anyone's throat, I really believe that you will see a transformation in your life and your mind. No diet or exercise can match the change in yourthinking about yourself.

Love yourself. You are perfect just the way you are. You are not a number on a scale, you are a temple. Present your best you, take care of yourself, nurture your health. You cannot love anyone else if you don't love yourself first.

Exercise

Accepting Ourselves

No comments: